Milltown Institute is a third level College for the study of Theology, Philosophy and Spirituality. It is one of the premier centres for the study of these disciplines in Ireland, and it attracts an international group of students from some forty different countries.
The Milltown Institute incorporates both a Recognised College of the National University of Ireland (NUI) and a Pontifical Athenaeum.
Milltown Institute was established in 1968 as a Pontifical Athenaeum with Faculties of Theology and Philosophy by a group of religious institutes. The origins of the Institute however can be traced back to the 1880s when the Jesuits established a School of Philosophy and a School of Theology at Milltown. The School of Theology has had an unbroken history at Milltown ever since 1889, and became a Jesuit Pontifical Faculty in 1932. The School of Philosophy moved from Milltown in 1930 and became a Jesuit Pontifical Faculty in 1948, and returned to Milltown in 1966.
Since November 1989, when it was granted designated status under the National Council for Education Awards Act 1979, it has developed and offered civil programmes leading to Bachelor, Masters and Doctoral awards.