- West met East in Beijing: A Jesuit brother painted the first portrait you encounter in a brilliant exhibition of Chinese art (The Emperor’s private paradise, currently in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York). It depicts the Emperor Qianlong on horseback reviewing his troops – his military campaigns increased the size of China by one third. The artist was Brother Giuseppe Castiglione from Milan, who was the court painter, and who earned a place in the aptly named Studio of Exhaustion from Diligent Service.
- West meets East in Belvedere: For the second year running, eleven Korean students are spending three weeks in Dublin, attending morning classes in Belvedere, and learning something of Irish culture from the Belvedere families with whom they stay.
- Edmond Grace, a Jesuit with legal training, and organiser of the Conversation on Democracy in Ireland, went to Paris for a January meeting of the ‘Faith and Politics’ Eurogroup. Its members come from Ireland, Britain, France, Italy, Germany and Switzerland, and organise a seminar every two years in Venice, where young people explore the interface of politics and faith.
- Jesuit preachers at Novenas of Grace in Dublin (4-12 March) parishes are (to date) as follows:
Parish Preacher Time Churchtown B. McGuckian 10am Howth B. McGuckian 8pm Donnycarney K. O’Rourke 10am Leixlip K. O’Rourke 7.30pm Harold’s Cross C. Quirke 10am & 7pm Coolock F. O’Keefe Meadowbrook B. Callanan & P. McVerry 10am Portmarnock J. Callanan & M. O’Reilly 7.30pm Rathgar G. Bourke 10am
- The memorial Mass for Fr Declan Deane in Milltown Park chapel turned out to be a most moving event – not just because the congregation, including a busload from Portadown, filled the chapel, but because of the quality of the words spoken with affection by Myles O’Reilly SJ, the homilist, and by Declan’s two brothers, Ray and John.
- See email@example.com for details of a Dracula-themed trek in Transylvania next September, in aid of the Peter McVerry Trust, which is committed to reducing homelessness, drug misuse and social disadvantage.
FR PROVINCIAL’S DIARY
25-26 February: Province Consult
1-3 March: Leeson Street Visitation
4-6 March: CEP meeting in Dromantine