- The new building for the Milltown community, pictured here, is moving nicely. The exterior should be finished in November, the interior by Christmas. The circular construct in front of the house will be a Meditation Walk.
- Two Jesuits were among the signatories of a letter to the Irish Times on 22 September, taking the Irish government to task for its unreadiness to sign an international agreement which strengthens the protection of economic, social and cultural rights for individuals. Peter McVerry, for the Peter McVerry Trust, and Gerry O’Hanlon, for the Jesuit Centre for Faith and Justice, are among those urging the Taoiseach to sign and ratify the agreement this week.
- Old Clongownian & former captain of Clongowes Senior cup team in 2008, Jack O’Connell was elected to captain the talented Leinster under 20’s team in their match against Ulster.
- A large group of the present and past pupils plus staff from Belvedere College, Gonzaga College and Clongowes Wood College were in Lourdes in early September as part of the Dublin Diocesan Pilgrimage.
- Among those supporting the Irish Catholic tent at the National Ploughing Championships is Noelle Fitzpatrick of Slí Eile. She will give a talk on young people and the church.
- In the Irish Catholic for 17 September, Siobhan Tanner recounts an engaging “Conversation with an old teacher” – meaning John Holohan SJ. One can sense John’s restlessness as he settles in to the slower pace of life in Dublin after handling the care of three churches in Florida, USA.
FR PROVINCIAL’S DIARY
24-27 September: European Provincials meet in Rome
30 September – 3 October: Gardiner Street visitation