- Much satisfaction has been expressed by members of the Milltown Park community with the quality of the facilities in the new building into which they moved just before Christmas. In the photo, standing in front of the new community house, are (from left to right): Seamus Duggan, Joe Starr (both Duggan Brothers, the builders), Eileen Ellis, Kevin Bates (architect), Kevin O’Rourke, Vince Cunningham & Pat Gibson (both Duggan Brothers). Currently the new Curia offices are being prepared on the first floor of the former community house.
- The March 2010 issue of Working Notes, published by the Jesuit |Centre for Faith and Justice has just been published. Under the title ‘A New Economic Paradigm’, it presents different aspects of the quest for alternative forms of recovery in Ireland – not merely a return to the consumption-driven and environmentally-damaging form of growth which emerged during the Celtic Tiger. The full contents will be made available on the JCFJ website shortly.
- The Irish Jesuit Province has recently sent €44,300 to aid the earthquake victims in Haiti. This sum comes from Province funds, communities, and various donations, including from pupils in Jesuit schools.
- Michael Paul Gallagher SJ returns to Dublin from Rome to give the annual Accord lecture on the role of the imagination in faith, in Maynooth , Sat, 15 March. Whilst here he will record a ‘Dialogue’ programme with Andy O’ Mahony on RTE radio 1.
- At the end of a week of tragic stories about the deaths of children in State care, Peter McVerry SJ discussed the problems and the solutions with Richard Crowley on the This Week programme, on RTE Radio 1, Sunday 7 March.
- Ian Fahey and Mark A Kelly of Belvedere College have qualified as one of three teams from the Irish round of the Mayor Brown Oxford Union Mace. They will speak in the finals of the competition in Oxford University, 13 March. It’s Belvedere’s first time in the Senior Competition and they will face tough English competition for one of four places in the grand final.
FR PROVINCIAL’S DIARY
10 March: Galway
12 March: Mission seminar in Manresa
16 March: Extended Consult
19-20 March: Province Consult
22-24 March: Manresa Visitation