Update on Press Statement regarding abuse
The Jesuit Order in Ireland made public the name of a former teacher and priest, Joseph Marmion SJ, (deceased) who abused boys sexually, emotionally, and physically while he was on the teaching staff at Belvedere College in the 1970’s. (Click here to read the statement).
This action was taken following engagement with a former pupil who was himself abused, in the hope that others who may have suffered would come forward and get the support they may need.
Below is an update:
We welcome that survivors of abuse in our schools and concerned individuals are now coming forward to us, as well as speaking publicly.
The core purpose of our communication on Tuesday of last week, at the request of a survivor, was to reach out to survivors and encourage them to come forward. This is happening.
As we said last week, words of apology can never be enough. We are now in a process of listening intently to all those who have contacted us directly or spoken publicly. We want to work out the best possible way of addressing what is being said and the information we are receiving. We also want to respond to the needs and concerns being voiced.
This process is ongoing and people are still coming forward. As the Provincial Fr Leonard Moloney SJ said in the statement last week, “We have in the past apologised and invited victims and survivors of abuse by members of the Society to come forward and to seek help. We do so again today. These efforts must always be continuous.” We again encourage anyone with information or any concerns to contact the Jesuit safeguarding office, [email protected] or the relevant authorities.
All information available to us has been reported to the Gardai and Tusla.
Information regarding the safeguarding policies of the Jesuit order and historical information on abuse has been audited by the National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church in Ireland and details of that audit are available here: