426 Clontarf Road
Manresa is a Jesuit Centre of Spirituality in Dollymount, Dublin 3, very close to Bull Island and St Anne’s Park. The Jesuit presence in these parts dates from a request in 1948 by the Archbishop of Dublin that the Society would establish a retreat house on Dublin’s north side.
Soon afterwards, the Jesuits bought Baymount Castle, with its 17 acres. The first retreats were held there in 1949.
Construction of a new retreat house began in 1966; it was opened in 1967. From 1969 to 1991 the Irish Jesuit novitiate was situated at Manresa. Part of the property near the novitiate building was sold in 1977 and is now a housing estate. A new European English-speaking Tertianship for the Jesuits opened in Manresa in September 2006. Manresa will be celebrating its 60th Anniversary in 2009, and we are planning to mark the occasion with some special events.
Manresa is ideally situated to help one to take time out to relax, to pray, to see one’s life in perspective. Based on the wisdom of St. Ignatius Loyola, especially as found in his Spiritual Exercises, Manresa offers retreats of all kinds, one-to-one accompaniment, training in spiritual direction, programmes for the deepening of faith and prayer, and courses and seminars on a wide range of topics, including leadership, addiction, the family and the arts.